Monday, July 8, 2013

The Heat

The Heat certainly is not a highbrow film, but it is a fun way to spend the afternoon. The Heat follows an FBI agent as she teams up with her polar opposite from the Boston police force to catch a drug lord. It’s a foul-mouthed comedy that is very enjoyable.

Sandra Bullock plays the uptight, arrogant FBI agent Ashburn who is seeking a promotion. She travels to Boston to catch a big time drug dealer where she meets street smart Detective Mullins played by Melissa McCarthy. The two are the most unlikely duo. Personally, I think the biggest test of an actor is how believable he or she is in the role. I would never have pegged Ashburn as the same person as Leigh Anne Tuohy or Mullins as Sookie St. James. This makes me appreciate the actresses even more. The two perfectly fit into their roles and play it magically. 

The women completely steal the show. The rest of the cast sat nicely in the background to give Ashburn and Mullins something to talk about. Demian Bichir plays Ashburn’s boss at the FBI, Hale, and Marlon Wayans plays FBI agent Levy helping out the duo. Tom Wilson plays Mullins’ Captain at the Boston PD. Michael Rapaport plays Mullins’ brother, Jason. Dan Bakkedahl and Taran Killam join the cast as DEA agents.

The Heat is a typical buddy comedy, featuring women. Katie Dippold, known for her work on Parks and Rec, wrote the screenplay.  The film features very, very strong language and some violence and gore. Bridesmaids director Paul Feig returns to direct The Heat.


The movie takes the style of 70s cop shows. “The Heat” is the name of the duo. Overall, it was very funny. I don’t think I stop laughing throughout the whole film. I would not nominate the film for any awards, but it was a great film to go see over the weekend. I recommend it for anyone looking for a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment