After the surprise that was Despicable Me, it wasn’t hard to tell that there would be a sequel.
Last week, fans were happy to welcome the villain Gru and his adorable minions
back into their lives with Despicable Me 2. However, like most sequels, this one fell short. I found the film
dragging in many parts and overall boring. One place it does stand out is
including enough jokes to keep the parents entertained.
The sequel finds Gru in his new roles of father and
legitimate businessman. He left behind his work of villain to care for his
three girls. Like a single father, he is dealing with boys coming into his
daughters’ lives and neighbors trying to set him up on dates. Since he is no
longer a villain, Gru is called in to use his expertise to catch a new villain
who stole a top-secret lab and its contents from the Arctic Circle. He teams up
with Lucy of the Anti-Villain League to catch the mysterious offender.
All of the characters carried over from the original are
voiced by the same actors. This includes Steve Carell voicing Gru’s indiscernible
accent and his daughters voiced by Miranda Cosgrove, Dana Gaier, and Elsie Fisher. Russell Brand also returned as Gru’s lab assistant, Dr. Nefario. The
sequel added the voices of Kristen Wiig as Lucy and Benjamin Bratt as Eduardo.
Other actors that lent their voices to the project include: Ken Jeong, Steve Coogan, Moises Arias, and Nasim Pedrad.
Ken Daurio and Cinco Paul also returned to write the film.
Other than Dispicable Me, their works
include Horton Hears A Who and The Lorax. The same directing team from
the first film joined them: Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud.
I was happy to see the minions take a bigger role in the
sequel. I think they are the best part of the movie and I am still waiting for
my own army of minions. This film spent a lot of time developing the family
aspect of Gru and the girls, really too much time. I felt the film was dragging
on at parts, talking about him being a single father. At 98 minutes, I thought
it was too long.
Overall, I thought the jokes were cheap and many rolled over
from the first film. Even though the children may drag their parents to see it,
it’s better to wait for it to come out on DVD. Really, the film would have been
better if it was just the minions for an hour and a half.

No comments:
Post a Comment