Just like Christmas, all the hype builds for months and in
one night it was done. This year’s Oscar ceremony was quite the show! Seth MacFarlane
did a wonderful job his first time as host of the ceremony. He brought a
refreshing, sometimes offensive, comedic style to the show. Personally, I loved
it. It was a huge turn around from last year’s dud. A few things stood out to
me this year making the show great.
I really loved Seth’s opening. I think it would have been
flawless if not for William Shatner’s appearance. MacFarlane is said to be a
trekkie, so I guess he wanted to showcase the original James T. Kirk. I never
knew Seth MacFarlane could sing and I instantly fell in love with him after his
musical-filled opening. Overall the show paid homage to the great musicals.
John Travolta came out as the representation of the music
revival in film with Saturday Night Fever.
Since then, the Academy has recognized great musicals in the past decade. I cannot believe Catherine Zeta-Jones
can still move like that! She reprised her role of Velma Kelly in Chicago to do a live musical number.
Followed by the always-stunning Jennifer Hudson who brought to the audience to
their feet with her performance. She won the Oscar in 2007 for her role as
Effie White. Then the cast of LesMiserable joined together to sing my favorite song from the film, “One Day
More,” plus Anne Hathaway thrown in there as Fantine. Music played a huge part
of this show.
I absolutely loved the James Bond tribute. For fifty years,
Bond has made our hearts race. Dame Shirley Bassey sang “Goldfinger” as part of
the tribute. I was really hoping she would sing “Diamonds Are Forever,” my
favorite Bond song, at least until “Skyfall.” Adele continued the night of Bond
with taking home the Oscar for Best Original Song. Though, it was no surprise
she won.
The major awards were pretty predictable this year. Pixar
continued its dominance of the Best Animated Feature category, beating out Wreck-It Ralph to take home the award
for Brave. I still whole-heartedly
believe that Ralph was a
better-animated film with a much better story while still visually stunning.
One thing that definitely did throw me was the tie for sound editing. From the
gasps of the audience, I know I was not the only one taken aback by this news.
This is only the fifth time in Oscar history that this has happened. It’s
definitely something for the record books.
Jennifer Lawrence secured her spot as one of my favorite
human beings with her fall on the stairs as she was accepting her award for
Best Actress. As she took the mic, she joked with the audience about it,
“You’re just standing up for me because I fell and that’s really embarrassing.”
She is one of the classiest actresses in Hollywood and carries herself with the
maturity of someone much older. The video of her falling is very funny but I do
want to congratulate on winning.
Argo took home of
the award for best picture. One of the producers, Grant Heslov, was not subtle
about his displeasure for Ben Affleck’s snub. He continuously congratulated him
on directing the show. Ben handled it with grace, as I’m sure he wanted to take
the mic and shout “Argo fuck yourself.” I was glad to see Argo get the appreciation it deserved.
Overall, I thought this was one of the best shows in the
recent years. The pacing was perfect. I didn’t notice the show was going so
long. Seth MacFarlane certainly did with his numerous jokes about the time. However,
it was worth waiting until the end to see his final musical number with the
great Kristen Chenoweth consoling the losers of the night. He was an absolutely
delightful host. I hope to see him host the Oscars again.

No comments:
Post a Comment