Tuesday, February 12, 2013

House of Cards


Netflix shocked the entertainment industry with their declaration that they would be creating original content. Many questioned how the online streaming company would be at developing their own material. House of Cards, the second “Netflix Original” series, was released a few weeks ago. So far, I was able to watch half the series and I’m immediately hooked. I can’t wait to see where the show will go with the amazing cast and extremely well written story. The show attracted some very big names in the film industry and made headlines with its $100 million cost for thirteen episodes. All the hype for the show leading up to its online release was great at grabbing audiences’ attention.

House of Cards is based off a book and British mini-series of the same name. This adaptation switches from the House of Parliament to the House of Congress. Francis Underwood is passed up to be the next Secretary of State. This sets him off to take down the new administration. House of Cards is a look into the dirty political world and the plots to further oneself.

The teams of producers behind House of Cards create high expectations for the show before an episode is even watched. David Fincher takes the helm with Beau Willimon and Eric Roth. These three are known for their critically acclaimed films: The Social Network, The Idesof March, and Forrest Gump, respectively. Their expertise creates on of the most beautifully shot shows I’ve seen in a long time. In fact, I often forget that I’m watching mini-series and not a cinematic masterpiece.

The acting in this show is stellar. I absolutely adore Kevin Spacey as Francis Underwood, the conniving Majority Whip from South Carolina. He is ruthless, backstabbing, and cunning but I still genuinely like the character and loathe his actions. Underwood is perfectly offset by his wife, Claire, played by Robin Wright. Claire is right behind all of Francis’s schemes while maintaining the illusion of a perfect political wife. Kate Mara, who I was not familiar with before, plays Zoe Barnes. She is a young reporter who teams up with Underwood to take down major political players.  Corey Stoll rounds out the main cast as Congressman Paul Russo, who is under the control of Underwood. This is one the best ensemble casts I’ve seen. I cannot find a weak link among them.

House of Cards is going to present an interesting scenario when it comes to awards. This is a mini-series, yet does not fit into any of the traditional categories through the Emmy’s, Golden Globes, or Oscars. House of Cards is so well made that it could sweep award shows in a variety of categories from acting to writing and directing. I’m interested to see how House of Cards will play into the award shows. How do you think it will work?

No comments:

Post a Comment