Friday, November 2, 2012

Argo


“How can a movie about the Iran Hostage Crisis be funny?”

This was the first thing my friend asked me when I told him to go see Argo. My answer was simple, “I don’t know, but it is.”

Argo came out on October 12 2012 and I was able to go to the midnight showing. This movie is one of the best I’ve seen in a long time. BenAffleck directs this period piece about the CIA operation to save six Americans that escaped the US Embassy in Iran moments before it was it was taken.
Argo has everything: a stunning cast, great writing, and intense moments that keep the audience of the edge of its seat. First, the cast was amazing! The old boys club of acting gets together for this film. Ben Affleck plays Tony Mendez who teams up with Hollywood hotshots John Cambers and Lester Siegel (John Goodman and Alan Arkin, respectively) to create publicity for a fake movie so that Mendez can sneak the Americans out as a Canadian film crew. Rounding out the cast is Bryan Cranston as Mendez’s boss Jack O’Donnell and Victor Garber as the Canadian Ambassador that hides the group of six in Iran.

This story was extremely well written, especially the dialogue. The film is filled with quick, dry humor that would make you think it’s an Aaron Sorkin TV show. Argo is based on the CIA’s actual mission to rescue the group. The dialogue is so witty and real that you can actually imagine men sitting around a table at Langley arguing about sending bicycles into Iran so the hostages can bike out. The film is also abundant with quips about the film industry. If you are a cinephile like me, you will certainly pick up on the subtle humor about making a union film.

The story is wonderfully drawn out to build tension. Rarely do films today build tension to drive the audience crazy. Much like the period it is set in, Argo plays with the audiences’ emotion through building tension. I could feel my heart racing at many points and had to contain myself from yelling at the screen.

I loved Argo. From the moment I saw the trailer, I knew I had to see it. I thought this would be more of a spy film than it actually was. It focused more on the making of a fake movie, which I was certainly fine with. This film will definitely be talked about as award season gets near. I highly recommend this film now!

No comments:

Post a Comment